We’ve teamed up with the Thames Valley Wine School to bring you the very popular WSET wine qualifications, which you can now study at Stanlake Park.
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine is an ideal starting point for anyone who is considering embarking on a professional career in the drinks industry or those with no little or prior experience of wine tasting.
It is an enjoyable, relaxed, and interactive course which is completed in a single day, including the exam, making it easy to fit in with busy working schedules. WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification.
You don’t necessarily have to keep studying, but once you’ve gained the Level 1 Award you can opt to continue with the following Levels 2, 3 and the very sought-after Level 4 or Diploma in Wines, one of the most highly-regarded and difficult wine qualifications in the world!
Who should consider studying WSET Level 1?
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines is intended to establish the basic skills and knowledge required in the service and retail of wine; it is ideal for preparing a person for their first job in hospitality or retail.
This course is also a great introduction for the wine enthusiast who wishes to learn in a structured way: the qualification will cover skills such as identifying wine styles, the practice of storing and serving wine, and food and wine matching.
No previous experience in Wine Tasting is necessary to register for this course!
When and how much
This course is completed in one single day. Our next available dates are:
- Saturday 25th February 10-6 pm (includes lunch break)
- Saturday 18th March 10-6 pm (includes lunch break)
Course cost £195 which includes:
– all wine tastings and lectures, course material, examination fee, certificate and label pin
– a voucher for a free Wine Tour & Tasting at Stanlake Park, valid for 12 months
→ Stanlake Park Lunch & Tasting: £15 per person (includes a wine flight with three Stanlake Park samples of your choice, and a light lunch consisting of local cheese & charcuterie, locally baked sourdough bread and butter. Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options available).
→ Stanlake Park No-booze Lunch: £13 per person (includes a premium non-alcoholic drink and a light lunch consisting of local cheese & charcuterie, locally baked sourdough bread and butter. Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options available).
A range of nibbles, snacks and hot drinks is available to purchase from our Wine Bar & Shop. See all our offerings here.
How to book
-> To book the course, please email Alex at email@example.com to arrange payment. You can also buy an open dated voucher for this course!
Please note, none of the Stanlake Park vouchers or Gift Cards are valid for any WSET courses.
-> To purchase one of the optional lunches, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
* Food and Wine Matching: A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
* Wine Service and storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
* Social Responsibility: A guide to sensible drinking
* Types and Styles of Wine: Learn about what makes wines taste different
* Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
* Main white grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Grigio
* Main black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
* Named White Wines: Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes
* Named Red Wines: Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
* Number of Wines Tasted: at least 9 wines will be tasted as part of the course
Study Materials: Students will receive the WSET Level 1 Award in Wine Study Guide upon arrival in class.
Course Specification: Those who wish to review the course specification in preparation for the course can request it via email to email@example.com
Duration of course: 1 day inclusive of examination
Examination: 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Special Educational Needs: Please make the School aware if you have a condition that may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT receipts are available on request.